A Winner by Default - 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

A Winner by Default

So in terms of a direct rival, it does not seem like the Outlander faces much in the way of competition. Both the Nissan Rogue and Toyota Rav4 are only available as hybrids and neither of which offer tax incentives to offset their 30k price tags. None of the PHEV offerings from BMW, Mercedes or Volvo can be found for less than $64k and all of them offer pretty terrible EV ranges. The only real competitive offering is that of the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, a PHEV seven seat minivan. The Pacifica is definitely more refined and spacious but its also more expensive and does not come in AWD.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:21 AM

I'm sure Mitsubishi isn't complaining about the lack of competition and it's proving to be very fruitful for them because European sales of the Outlander PHEV has already hit the 100k mark. That's astounding considering how new the car is.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHaul View Post
I'm sure Mitsubishi isn't complaining about the lack of competition and it's proving to be very fruitful for them because European sales of the Outlander PHEV has already hit the 100k mark. That's astounding considering how new the car is.
If anything they are happy that other car makers proved the segment they want to get in here is lucrative, helping to reduce the risk of bringing a vehicle to market. Although the Outlander might be a lower selling vehicle, it should do well enough for Mitsubishi to keep it going similar to how you see smaller volume brands keep the same products around year after year.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 08:31 AM

Hybrid SUVs and crossovers aren't new these days, but I suppose someone else must have paved the way and taken the risk first before Mitsubishi saw profit in this segment. Can't think of the company right now, can you?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Hybrid SUV's are brand new to the market, so I'm not sure where you think you've seen them before. Perhaps there were concepts out of other companies, but none that I can think of that actually entered production. So I think its fair to say Mitsubishi saw the opportunity to be the first to market and have set a pretty high standard for rivals entering the segment in the new few years.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:30 PM

There has been hybrid SUV's like the Tahoe, Highlander, and a few others. They have been slow in sales volume but the interest is their. As more next generation SUV's come out we should see an increase. Already the Pacifica Hybrid is doing well with sales, not far off from being an SUV.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:18 PM

Hybrids are gaining traction thanks to the incentives and amazing fuel savings. Now they can do all those and perform adequately with the new Atkinson-cycle 2.4-liter unit. Still waiting for the official numbers from Mitsubishi when it comes to power and torque, but it'll definitely be an improvement compared to the last generation model.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Hybrids are gaining traction thanks to the incentives and amazing fuel savings. Now they can do all those and perform adequately with the new Atkinson-cycle 2.4-liter unit. Still waiting for the official numbers from Mitsubishi when it comes to power and torque, but it'll definitely be an improvement compared to the last generation model.
Well now during a time that people want to be more eco friendly and at the same time start saving money right away, hybrids are the best for that. Its where we need EV's to be but right now it takes 4-5+ years to where less money leaves your wallet compared to a gasoline car.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 10:07 PM

Full-electrics still need more range before I take the dive and hybrids are a great in between powertrain to help buyers bridge the gap in the meantime.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Full-electrics still need more range before I take the dive and hybrids are a great in between powertrain to help buyers bridge the gap in the meantime.
Agree. Ultimately for me it would come down to having easily 150 miles all-electric range which will last me well over a day of heavy driving. Fortunately radio networks and the world of wireless is growing which will make it even more possible to have very convenient wireless charging in areas we frequent, contributing to less range anxiety.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page